Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy 4th of July!


The Lillies that surround my house somehow remind me of fireworks. Maybe it's their shape and the way they look like they're on fire. They force me to take their picture. Everyday. Not the same lilly since they only live one day. I also have several photos of what they look like "the day after". Still rather interesting, I might add.
Knitting. I've been doing some. A couple weeks ago I received an e-mail from someone who can be rather overbearing from time to time. She saw a photo of a pair of socks that I had made for myself earlier in the year as a Mother's Day gift to myself from myself. After that, I posted a photo of some yarn that I had dyed. This got her a little worked up and she said that she thought I was in too much pain to knit.
Now, since I was a "volunteer" for her group I don't really feel the need to explain to her why I haven't been knitting socks 2 pair/month for her as I was before. I couldn't.
Why not?
Well, last December I injured myself at work. I can't prove that I did since I technically had a desk job. All I know is I was fine one day and the next day I wasn't. Seven months later, I'm still not fine. I have spent around $3500 on medical bills, physicals, x-rays, medications, etc. Changed jobs and took an $4.75/hour pay decrease then ended up being part time and only working 20 hours/week.
Yet, she wants an explanation.
Will she get one?
Only if she comes here to read this. I explained to her in February that I was packing up the goods and shipping them back. She told me not to and to keep knitting. She just didn't want to hear what I had to say. The box was packed and ended up getting pushed under the old antique sewing machine where I couldn't bend over to reach it. Last week, after some relaxation exercises and Tylenol, I managed to get it to the post office. Any mention from receiver? Nope.
I enjoyed knitting for the group when I could. What happens when I knit is my back between my shoulder blades tenses up and becomes rather painful. Other favorite things I can't do? Can't go to the UP to our cabin as I can only tolerate about an hour in a car. I can't do my yard work so my flower beds are rather depressing. Can't ride my bike and I used to be a 10-mile/day rider. No rollerblading, no walking in the woods behind my house since uneven ground really causes hip discomfort, and I can't even attempt to take our atv for a ride. I got to use it once last fall.
Yet, she wants to know why I've managed to knit 1 pair of socks and dye some yarn over the past 7 months. I'd say I'm a real speed knitter - me, who used to knit and finish a pair of socks in 1 week. Sweaters for myself would take less than 1 month from start to finish. I have a sweater that's been under construction for over a year.
Thanks for listening.
I feel better now.
Happy 4th of July!
I want to also mention that I lost a friend and former co-worker 2 weeks ago when he was killed in Afganistan.
Ross Toles, Jr.
37 years old.
Left behind his wife and children for his country.

1 comment:

Alison said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. And I'm sorry for the pain you're going through. I can relate: 18 years ago, I woke up one morning feeling like I'd been hit by a truck and broken every bone. Lupus, in my case. I'd never heard of it. Not saying you have that, just, I know how limiting and frustrating pain can be.

I can knit, though, and that has changed everything from what the story might have become.

--AlisonH at spindyeknit.com